Import vehicle: What does it mean?

A vehicle that was made outside of the UK and not intended for sale in the UK, that is then imported into the UK. If you are importing a vehicle into the UK, you’ll need to tell HM Revenue and Customs, pay any required tax and import duties, get the vehicle approved and register it with the DVLA.

Import vehicle: The long answer

An imported vehicle refers to a car that has been manufactured and originally sold outside of the United Kingdom and then imported into the country. These vehicles are often sourced from countries such as Japan, Germany, or the United States.

Import vehicles can offer UK drivers a unique range of options that may not be readily available in the domestic market. They often come with different features, specifications, and designs that cater to specific tastes and preferences. Some drivers may opt for an import vehicle to access a wider selection of models, advanced technology, or performance enhancements that are not commonly found in UK-manufactured cars.

However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind when owning an import vehicle in the UK. Firstly, the car may need to undergo certain modifications or adaptations to comply with UK road regulations and safety standards. This process usually involves altering the headlights, speedometer, and sometimes even the side mirrors to ensure they are suitable for driving on UK roads.

Additionally, servicing and maintenance for import vehicles might require specialised knowledge or parts that may not be as readily available as those for domestic cars. It is important to find a reputable mechanic or dealership who is experienced in handling import vehicles to ensure proper maintenance and repairs.

Overall, an imported vehicle can provide UK drivers with a unique driving experience, offering a wider range of options and features that may not be found in domestic cars. However, it is essential to consider the necessary modifications and maintenance requirements before purchasing an imported vehicle in the UK.